Monday, 9 November 2009

Day 9

I get to read and report on a manuscript at last! It's exactly what I wanted to do.

I was taken to this sushi place for lunch (not against my will) by an acquaintance from the past, and I discovered "vitamin enriched limeflower water". What the hell. Puts one in mind of a barrel being filled and churned by a mountain waterfall, and upon being filled, someone places a flower petal in the barrel and then someone else suddenly commands "OKAY, TAKE IT OUT NOW", and the petal is removed, and that's the drink. And "contains 50% of your daily vitamins and minerals". Where am I getting the other 50% from?! I'm panicked.

By the way, dominating most front pages today is the story that Gordon Brown put an "m" instead of an "n" in a handwritten letter he wrote to the mother of a young soldier killed in Afghanistan. Given that the soldier's name is James Janes, it is of course highly bizarre that Brown would make the mistake of calling the mother "Mrs James" instead of "Mrs Janes". I bet nobody's ever made that mistake. She called this 'orrible, 'orrible use of the letter "m" disrespectful and insulting. I don't blame her -- I mean, if someone spelled my name Elanor instead of Eleanor, I'd be so distraught that I'd probably stab myself in the face. Along with "Tony Blair's war", "M Day" will forever go down in history as one of the greatest Prime Ministerial mistakes ever ever. Give us yet more apologies, please, Gordon Browm.

No comments:

Post a Comment