Monday, 16 November 2009

Day 16

Although I did go out once (without contact lenses, discovering that my sight has deteriorated further in just a couple of months, meaning that I'm starting to wonder if it might be a sneaky symptom of something evil, but I'll never know, because I can't be bothered to find out. Though surely it'll mean my prescription needs to be adjusted. Hm. I should probably get out of these brackets now. I'm feeling a little trapped). There we go, much better! Anyway. Yeah. So although I did go out once, today was -- and continues to be -- spent reading and writing, and that's all. Obviously you can't spend a long time at a computer without roaming the internet, unless you're Proper, which I'm not, so I watched Funny People.

It's yet another one of Judd Apatow's endless tributes to platonic male love. The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Step Brothers, amongst others, and now Funny People. It begs the question, does he himself actually have any close male friends, or are these movies just his fantasies? His cinematic seduction of his friends, whether or not they exist, is just padding for the jokes anyway as far as I'm concerned -- and the characters, setting and plot are just padding too. Because Apatow writes funny things. His Frat Pack actors do too, so it's always, always worth seeing his movies. Behold arguably the funniest moment in modern American film:



I also watched the Doctor Who special, The Waters of Mars. At first I thought that David Tennant had forgotten what he was doing, given that he kept lapsing into his Glaswegian accent and glancing around sharply like a caffeinated sparrow. But no, he still knows how to hold together an episode like that, what with it being both giddy and unexpectedly scary in the way that only Doctor Who can be. I always forget that it's on until the airdate (or, in this case, the day after the airdate), but even though the program doesn't exist for me outside the times that it's actually on, I think I'll really miss Tennant's Doctor, who seems to be hinting at a dangerous crisis of identity. So in the Christmas Special we'll get to see what happens when a Time Lord with an exploding ego has a breakdown...

No comments:

Post a Comment